Thursday, April 8, 2010

I'm a terrible blogger

I have no idea how to even summarize the past few days.  I feel a bit like I've been in silo with no internet!  I'm so jealous of the people on this trip with iPhones. They're able to catch connections here and there and  can update people a few times a day.  John's keeping a blog for his class at Hutchison...I highly recommend checking it out if you want to know where we are during the day: http://theadventuresofpetebigbear.blogspot.com/

So...people are really into Rotary here.  I mean, REALLY.  Suits are worn at all times (I think they thought it was odd when we asked to change into jeans the other day when walking in the mountains). There are matching Rotary ties, matching lapel pins, matching belt buckles. One of our coordinators apparently has Rotary silverware and glasses at home. Here's how we were greeted when we got off the bus in Jeonju (after traveling 27 hours at this point).


I am blown away by the hospitality.  We're not able to pay for anything, and the meals are extremely elaborate. I will say this about Korean food - they are not afraid of dirty dishes.  This is just one of our typical meals.



I've also learned that it's very important to finish your rice.  The problem is that we never know when the meal is finished...the courses keep coming and coming and coming. Just when we're completely stuffed, they'll bring out a huge bowl of noodles or rice or porridge.  It's pretty daunting. I'll have to upload the picture from our lunch the other day and we can discuss exactly what we're consuming then.

Our second night in town, we were welcomed with a banquet dinner.  There were ceremonious speeches, gifts, national anthems (we all kind of groaned when they stuck in the Star Spangled Banner/Leeanne Rhymes version).  Luckily they couldn't get it to work (it probably would have droned on for 6 uncomfortable minutes) and we were able to sub in a quick Navy band version that we grabbed off iTunes.

We've toured so many places already and are just getting started.  Jeonju has a rich history dating back to the early Joseon Dynasty (1382-1897).  The local shrine in town houses the portraits of each king.


I'll have to post more later...Ruth and I are sharing a new home stay family (and the same bed...which, just happens to be made out of stone.  Really.  Stone.)  It's lights out here.  So to close, did I mention we have our own bus?  The new one is hot pink, but here's the last one:

2 comments:

  1. YUM. I want to know more about this (stone??) bed. must make for some long nights sleeping off the soju (i admit i had no idea what soju was before just now googling "korean alcohol".)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, terrible blogger. I want to know what else is happening!!

    ReplyDelete